Tuesday, 2 October 2012

Bristol City 2 - 3 Leeds United

It’s typical isn’t it, when you get a cold, it’s always over the weekend!! I was absolutely full of cold and felt terrible on Friday night so tried to get an early night as I knew how early I was going to have to get up on Saturday morning, despite this, come 5am, I was as awake as I possibly could be and besides feeling like crap, I was soooo excited for another long away day.

Usually within about an hour of getting on the coach, if it’s been an early one, everyone has a wee kip, but today the banter was flying and everyone was really chatty and excited, it was one of those journeys where you’d have missed loads if you’d have fallen asleep!!

We stopped off at a pub, but because I felt so terrible, I didn’t know what to have!! I’d had some paracetamol’s earlier on so I didn’t want to drink too much but we were at a pub, it’d be rude not to have at least one drink after coming all this way ;o) I made my choice, I was having a Guinness, I preached to the rest of the coach that it was purely for medicinal purposes as it is full of iron….I don’t know who I was trying to convince, me, or them.

We got to Ashton Gate but there is a 5/10 minute walk involved as the police make us park in an industrial estate so I was thankful it was quite a nice, pleasant, sunny day!!

The seats were un-reserved in the ground and we picked some right at the front of the stand, after almost being taken out by a stray ball, we decided we could probably find a better place so we could see all of the pitch.

Paddy Kenny was back in the starting 11, as was Lee Peltier who had both missed mid-week due to injury.

The first half was very messy, with either side to really get a grip on the game, it took until the 10th minute for us to get a shot in, Aidy White headed the ball, close range but Heaton caught the ball and so began retaliation from Bristol City, Paddy Kenny saving a left footed shot by Ryan Taylor.

6 minutes later Luciano Becchio, on his 200th appearance for Leeds, had his first shot but it was blocked by James Wilson.

There really wasn’t much else in significance, it really was a power struggle all the way through the first half, it was nothing like the game on Tuesday night so far and as the half time whistle blew, both teams left the field of play with no goals to their name.

Though the match had been pretty dull from a spectators point of view we were really getting behind the lads and singing at the top of our voices, our support really is amazing.

After the break it took until the 62nd minute for anything of particular interest to happen, there was a lot of battling from both teams to try and get a foothold in the game but it was us who opened the scoring.
A cross by Sam Byram fell nicely for El Hadji-Diouf and he hit the back of the net from 6 yards out.
Diouf came and celebrated right in front of us and we were going mental.

Bristol City made a change bringing on Sam Baldock fro Jon Stead.

It didn't take long for Bristol City to equalise though, as 8 minutes later it was all square when Albert Adomah headed from close range to put the ball past Paddy Kenny

We suddenly had a game on our hands now as both teams wanted the points.

The Robins had gained a bit of confidence and Ryan Taylor attempted to get a goal but his shot went wide left.

An Aidan White, right footed shot was blocked on the 76th minute but he found it blocked by Richard Foster.

Tom Heaton came to Bristol's rescue when Rodolph Austin had a shot from 35 yards out.

The pressure eventually paid off when Diouf put the ball in the back of the net for the second time!!

Two minutes later and it was celebration time again, this time Michael Tonge fired a shot from 20 yards out, fantastic goal!!

The celebrations were cut short though because, as always we made it hard for ourselves when a cross from Adomah was headed in by Rodolph Austin on the 90th minute.

The 4th official had added 6 minutes, no idea why but it was a nervous 6 minutes all the same.

In the dying seconds ex Leeds player Neil Kilkenny was booked for not going 10 yards away from a set piece.

The whistle blew and a we were a able to breathe again, making sure we were taking 3 points back to Leeds :o)

The majority of the game wasn't brilliant, nor was it entertaining but the second half really got going and it was exciting, for a neutral!!

For me the most frustrating thing is the fact that we just can't keep a clean sheet. We always concede and make it so had for ourselves and one day, it's going to cos us. Lucky for us, that wasn't Sarurday and we are now unbeaten in 3 for the first time since December 2010!!

Man of the match for me, again was El-Hadji Diouf. He took his goals brilliantly and worked hard a game.

Special mention to our number 10, Luciano Becchio who made his 200th appearance for us on Saturday, congratulations Luciano & here's to many more :o)

Another mention to Elokobi who had just signed for Bristol Rovers on loan from Wolves, he sustained a terrible injury in the first half when he dislocated and broke his ankle. Awful injury, hope he has a speedy recovery.

Bolton away tonight!! Lets hope we can carry on our run :o)

MOT xx <3 xx

No comments:

Post a Comment